Our chef is happy to accommmodate special diets, and is often asked for gluten free dishes. Here’s our popular gluten free scone recipe:
Gluten Free Scones
This recipe makes approximately 8 gluten free scones.
- 250g (8oz) gluten free self-raising flour. Doves Farm is a popular brand of self-raising flour available in most UK supermarkets. This product and most gluten free flour contains xanthan gum which does the job of binding the ingredients together in place of the gluten – so check the ingredients on the flour packet – otherwise you will need to add ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum per 250g of flour.
- 1 level teaspoon of gluten-free baking powder (Supercook brand is gluten free and available in most supermarkets)
- 50g ( 1 ¾ oz) butter (or low fat margarine for the healthier option)
- 50g (1 ¾ oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) milk
- Beaten egg to glaze
- 1-2 tsp granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Dorset Clotted Cream
- Your favourite Strawberry Jam
- Baking sheet lined with baking parchment
- Ice-cream scoop
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220° C
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar (and xanthan gum if required)
- Lightly beat together the egg and the milk. Add this to the flour mixture and gently mix to give a smooth consistency
- As it is tricky to roll and cut this mixture it is easier to scoop 7-9 mounds of the mixture with an ice-cream scoop on to the lined baking sheet. Brush some beaten egg over the top of each and sprinkle over some granulated sugar.
- Bake the scones in the centre of the oven for 15-18 minutes or until they are a light golden colour. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and slide the scones on to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve scones warm with strawberry jam and Dorset clotted cream.
We hope you enjoy your scones, and if you don’t feel like making them yourself, come and stay at The Whitehall Hotel in Bournemouth and we’ll make them for you!
Don’t forget to try our Head Chef’s Amazing Gluten Free Christmas Mince Pies too.
Our latest Offers are listed at the top of our Current Prices and Special Offers page.