It’s been a while since our head chef shared any of recipes with us. So, prompted by a request from a guest here’s his Gluten Free Dorset Apple Cake.
We think it is very tasty and works really well with a dollop of cream, or even a big scoop of vanilla ice-cream, or…. if it’s a special occasion, like maybe a Friday or a Monday, go for a bit of both! After all if you’ve taken the time to make it, then it must be a special day!
Gluten Free Dorset Apple Cake
- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 450g Bramley apples
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 225g caster sugar, plus extra for dredging
- 3 large eggs
- 225g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (we use Dr Oetker)
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 tsp mixed spice + 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100g sultana
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Peel and core the Bramley apples and cut into slices or 1cm chunks
- Add the zest and juice from the lemon and give a good shake
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and spices together
- Put all of the ingredients (not the demerara) together in a large bowl and with a spoon, mix until a rough paste is formed without overbeating the apple chunks
- Grease a suitable oven proof dish and dust it with flour (gluten free) then pour in the mixture. Spread evenly with a palette knife. Finally sprinkle the top with demerara sugar
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30-40 min on gas 5, 185C Check by inserting a skewer in the centre, and if it is not sticky and wet it is ready!
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes in the tin, the leave on a rack to cool completely.
If you’re thinking of coming to Bournemouth for a break the Whitehall Hotel caters for special diets